Green Initiative Program
2008 was the first full year of our Green Program and we experienced a 135% increase in our recycling efforts…nearly 143 tons of recycled materials to date.
Madden’s retains a full-time employee and vehicle specifically designated for recycling for daily pick up and transference of recyclables. Disposal areas receive:
- Cardboard boxes
- Paper/magazines/newspapers/office waste
- Steel and aluminum
Ozone Laundry System
Our property’s overall carbon footprint was significantly reduced with this new system, greatly reducing our natural gas consumption. Drying time is reduced because linens and towels washed with ozone do not hold as much water. This saves even more natural gas or electricity. Ozone improves sewage water quality by 30 to 50 percent. The laundry facility will require less energy to cool because less hot water and heat is present, thereby improving working conditions for employees. Ozone kills harmful bacteria thousands of times faster than chlorine.
Purchasing of “green” friendly products
- New room amenities are made of recyclable plastic
- All new appliances and equipment will carry “Energy Star” seal when available.
- Conversion in process to Green Seal Certified cleaning products and processes with our ultimate goal to eliminate bleach.
- All restrooms have been converted with Green Seal Certified soap, and paper towels are made of 100% recycled material, made with a chlorine-free process, which reduces water by 80%.
- Work with our vendors to raise awareness in reducing our environmental footprint in packaging and transportation costs.
- Conversion of many of our paper products to eco-friendly containers
Use, Re-use, Donate
Currently working with several organizations in the Brainerd Lakes area:
- Green Range Renewable Energy, Ironton, MN. All used fryer oil being locally recycled to biodiesel fuel.
- Guest room amenities (soap, shampoos) donated to local charities.
- Mattresses and other furniture items donated to local Habitat for Humanity and Bridges of Hope.
Reducing the amount of energy we consume at Madden’s is another significant facet of our Green Program. We work closely with our entire staff on ways to conserve energy through on-going education and promote the motto:
“When Not In Use… Cut The Juice”
Other Green Efforts at Madden’s
- Increasing our efforts to utilize our own on-site flower gardens with our “cut flower program”, greatly reducing transportation and packaging costs previously incurred.
- Of Madden’s 1000 acre property, 600+ acres remain undeveloped and allowed to ‘grow wild’
- Shoreline restoration methods are practiced wherever possible
- 74 acres of land were donated to the City of East Gull Lake